[LLVMdev] Assorted notes on garbage collection with LLVM

Michael Lewis don.apoch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 09:26:50 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I've been working recently on a precise garbage collector which runs
alongside native code JITted by LLVM. Today marks the first time the GC has
passed its entire test suite as well as extensive soak tests in non-trivial
programs.

It's been an interesting and educational process, to say the least, and
I've run into quite a few things that might be useful to know for others
tackling similar projects.

I've compiled my notes on the subject here for posterity:

https://code.google.com/p/epoch-language/wiki/GarbageCollectionScheme

I'd be happy to field any questions about the adventure as well, although
that probably belongs off-list.

Thanks,

 - Mike