[LLVMdev] PNaCl Bitcode reference manual

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 1 10:46:15 PDT 2013

On 1 Aug 2013, at 18:19, Dan Gohman <dan433584 at gmail.com> wrote:

> PNaCl is essentially doing what my proposal described. How do you expect to reconcile the community's desire to avoid doing lowering on LLVM IR with PNaCl's design that is built on doing lowering on LLVM IR?

I don't think that the problem was lowering in the IR, it was extending the IR to support all of the machine-dependent types that would be needed to lower for arbitrary target architectures.  PNaCL only has to lower for a specific abstract architecture that only supports types that can already be represented in the IR.

David