[LLVMdev] Help needed about setting up an Aarch64 LLVM buildbot

Gabor Ballabas gaborb at inf.u-szeged.hu
Thu Apr 18 06:25:57 PDT 2013

Dear LLVM developers,

My name is Gabor Ballabas. I work for the University of Szeged (Hungary) and
we have an ongoing project with the goal of setting up and maintaining
an LLVM buildbot
for the ARMv8 - alias Aarch64 - architecture. Due to lack of existing
hardware for this
architecture we use ARM's Foundation Model to run the Aarch64 binaries.
(See:
http://www.arm.com/products/tools/models/fast-models/foundation-model.php )

The buildbot works as follows:
  * The buildslave runs on an x86 machine cross-compiling LLVM itself to
aarch64-linux-gnu
     host and target.
  * The buildslave's build directory is mirrored via NFS to a running
instance of ARM's Foundation
     Model.
  * The buildslave logs into the Foundation Model via ssh and runs the
regression tests.

Unfortunately there has been some issues with the buildbot. I checked
out the zorg repository
and modified it in order to use it on my local machine (turning off all
the other builders and the mail
and irc status etc.). You can check it at this link:
http://cute2.inf.u-szeged.hu:3389/waterfall

The problem is that the buildslave uses the following options to the
configure script:

   --host=aarch64-linux-gnu --target=aarch64-linux-gnu etc.

After that the make command fails with this message:

    llvm[0]: Constructing LLVMBuild project information.
    configure: error: Already configured in
/home/ximinez/work/llvm/source/llvm
    make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/ximinez/work/llvm/source/llvm/BuildTools'
    make[1]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/ximinez/work/llvm/source/llvm/BuildTools'
    make: *** [cross-compile-build-tools] Error 1

I found the same problem mentioned on the internet with the suggested
solution that a
separate build directory must be used in order to avoid this failure
when cross-compiling LLVM.
But for that I had to modify the LLVMBuilder.py script - see the attachment.

My question is: Is there any other way to solve this problem without
modifying LLVMBuilder.py?
Maybe I'm not using the configure script or the zorg scripts correctly.
Or maybe there is a simple,
clean way to accomplish this task that I failed to notice.

Best regards,
Gabor Ballabas