[LLVMdev] make check rebuilds the project?

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Wed Apr 17 12:46:49 PDT 2013

>> cmake+ninja is a non-option for many developers.
>

> By the way, i'm curious what this means. It can be interpreted in a
> number of ways, but it would be good to know what problems you are
> specifically saying making it a non-option for many developers

Hi Danny,

Sorry for being unclear. My fault for posting when I’m in a hurry.

I don’t think there’s any unsolvable problems. Well, not technical ones anyway. It’s a question of supporting a broad enough cross section of environments and workflows that devs not only can move to cmake+ninja, but actively want to do so.

For me personally, it’s more a question of supported workflows being inconvenient than it being a strict non-starter. That is, it’s a question of which system has fewer inconveniences for me in my daily work. Right now, that’s configure+make. I’m very much looking forward to the day when the balance of that equation changes.

Note, I’m explicitly excluding the whole “remove autoconf+make” thing from this. That’s another topic with a whole extra set of issues. Likewise, I’m not going to make any sorts of claims about exhaustiveness here, but rather just relate mostly what I’ve encountered.

AFAIK ninja still only has very preliminary support for Windows, so anyone working there can’t use it. Perhaps that’s changed or I’m misinformed? Last I tried it, OSX support was better, but still very much “try it and see if it works for you.” I personally found ninja’s OSX support to be fine, but I didn’t really beat on it to put it through its paces, either. Relatedly, some work environments have varying ability to install and use “non-standard” tools. I’ve been in workplaces before that I’d have had to fight tooth and nail to get something like cmake or ninja available to me on my workstation. Even now when I don’t have that policy sort of problem, it’s still a pain when every time I install a new system (which I do disturbingly often), I need to install additional tools before I can start using llvm. Not a big problem on its own of course, but an inconvenience.

cmake+ninja doesn’t support building and running the llvm test suite. That’s pure configure+make still. I rely on configure automatically setting up the test suite to run on whatever compiler I just built.

For example, I build Debug+Asserts, Release+Asserts and Release configurations all in the same build directory and rely on the configure+make machinery to create separate build results subdirectories named for those. That is, it’s pretty common for me to do something that boils down to (with lots of steps in between of course), “<src>/configure && make && make check && make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 && make check ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 && make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 DISABLE_ASSERTIONS=1 && make check  ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 DISABLE_ASSERTIONS=1”. Depending on what I’m doing, I bounce back and forth between them. With  cmake, I have to have completely separate configured build directories. I already have 10+ llvm build directories lying around that I regularly use. I’d prefer to keep that number from growing too horribly. When I last tried using cmake+ninja, this is the one that I kept running into and getting annoyed with.

Do the cmake scripts support cross-compiling? Last I tried, I had trouble with that. Many moons ago, I had to beat the plain Makefiles into some sort of submission for that. I not infrequently build llvm to run on ARM, for example.

Somewhat relatedly, I like to keep my development builds as close as reasonably possible to production builds. There are few things that make my stomach churn more than bugs that only reproduce on the production builders. That’s somewhat off-topic, though, as that’s getting into “what would it take to remove configure+make support” territory.

In short, I’m a big fan of ninja and really want to use it. CMake, I’m less thrilled about, but I’ll put up with it if it gets me ninja. Right now though, it’s a close but not quite a fully baked replacement for my uses.

Anyways, none of this should be construed to be a slight to the work people have put into cmake+ninja support for llvm/clang. Quite the opposite. I’m excited enough about what’s been done that I’m frustrated it doesn’t fit my use-cases well enough for me to switch.

My point with that comment, which Eli correctly and effectively addressed in his reply, is that we can’t assume we can define away problems with the configure+make system by just telling people it’s deprecated and they should use cmake+ninja instead. We’re not there yet.

Thanks,
  Jim