[LLVMdev] make check rebuilds the project?

Eli Bendersky eliben at google.com
Wed Apr 17 10:43:51 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Krzysztof Parzyszek <
kparzysz at codeaurora.org> wrote:

> On 4/17/2013 12:15 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:
>

>> Give a compelling argument and I might :)
>>

> The cost is the extra time spent verifying that the binaries are fresh.
>  In my experience it has never happened that I ran "make check" on a wrong
> set of binaries.  On the other hand, it does happen that I run "make check"
> repeatedly, when working on a testcase (or a set of testcases), or when I
> fixed something that previously caused some testcases to be XFAILed.

If development speed / turnaround time is important for you, 'make' is the
wrong solution in the first plane. Use a cmake+ninja build, which is way
faster, especially for null builds (where all the build system does is make
sure there's nothing new to build, or very few things to build).

Here's a ninja build run on a fully built debug LLVM+Clang checkout:

$ time ninja
ninja: no work to do.

real 0m0.088s
user 0m0.070s
sys 0m0.010s

You can't beat that with 'make' no matter what you do ;-)

Eli