[LLVMdev] RFC: Using zlib to decompress debug info sections.

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Tue Apr 16 13:37:18 PDT 2013

On Apr 16, 2013, at 11:53 AM, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Historically we've done the former. The latter would require Chris
> wanting to do that.

This case isn't so clearcut.  We like to include libraries in the source to make it easy to get up and running without having to install a ton of dependencies.  However, this has license implications and is generally annoying.

Given that zlib is so widely available by default, and that the compiler can generate correct (albeit uncompressed) debug info, I think the best thing is to *not* include a copy in llvm.  Just detect and use it if we can find it, but otherwise generate uncompressed output.

-Chris