[LLVMdev] GSoC project questions.

Marc Driftmeyer mjd at reanimality.com
Fri Apr 12 18:09:46 PDT 2013

Just a stab here and not basing it upon any recent exposure as a
Mechanical Engineer and CS graduate with FORTRAN 90/03 but I have always
perceived DragonEgg as transitional bridge solution and not an end
solution for languages LLVM/Clang presently or in the future have yet to
support directly within their infrastructure.

Personally, the sooner I don't have to have the GCC infrastructure to
run FreeBSD, Debian Linux or any other platform the better. It's not a
dig at GCC, it's a dig at bloat. Having a robust FORTRAN library that is
always a must in Numerical Analysis preludes often an equivalent
robustness in equivalent C/C++ libraries, though never at an exact level
of precision.

Not to mention I would suspect the likes of ANSYS, MatLab, Mathematica,
etc., would be rather pleased to port their applications across OS X,
Windows, UNIX [Linux/FreeBSD] knowing LLVM/Clang/Flang isn't entangled
with GPL licensing issues.

- Sincerely,

Marc J. Driftmeyer