[LLVMdev] [Announcement] 3.3 Release Planning!

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Apr 3 14:29:46 PDT 2013

On 3 April 2013 21:15, Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> wrote:

> > * Green direct check-all (clang-native-arm-cortex-a9 bot, green)
> > * Green direct test-suite (clang-native-arm-lnt bot, almost green)
> > * Green self-host check-all (no bot yet, some failures, will look into
it next)

> All of this, yes. :)

Great! This is feasible for the 3.3 time frame.

> > * Green self-host test-suite?
>
> This would be nice.

I'm expecting that, once the self-host check-all is fixed, we won't have
problems here. The few check-all problems (about 3) seem to be regarding
configuration, not real bugs in the compiler, so I'm not expecting any
problem in the self-hosting test-suite.

But it'll take a while to create the bots. There were some, er, issues with
the Arndale (http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm-arm/msg03723.html) and the
Chromebooks are not the best rack machines... ;)

Anyway, my aim is to get those 4 bots up and green by the 3.3 release.

> cortex-a9 sounds fine. It'd be cool if we verified those binaries
> run on a cortex-a8 and a cortex-a15, too. It'd be very, very strange
> if they didn't, but hey, catching very, very strange problems is what
> release testing is for, right? :)

Actually, this is a good idea, I'll set up a Beagle as a buildbot and see
what happens to it.

> At least for now, I do think we should constrain "ARM is a supported
> target" to mean armv7. For purposes of testing, armv6 is effectively
> a different target.

I agree. LLVM does a pretty good job at compiling for other ARM
architectures, but corner cases can be quite bad, and it's usually on them
that people will compare LLVM to GCC. A warning that we're primarily
focusing on v7 for the time being would be in order.

cheers,
--renato