[LLVMdev] RFC: Bug fix releases for 3.3 and beyond

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 3 14:26:41 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 09:51:49AM -0700, Tom Stellard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would really like to see the LLVM project start to make official bug fix
> releases (e.g. 3.3.1, 3.3.2, etc.).  I think that this would be useful for a
> lot of the users of LLVM, especially projects that use LLVM as a library.
> I am willing to help maintain bug fix releases, and I'm wondering if
> this is something that the LLVM project would officially support with
> a stable SVN branch and by hosting the official stable tarball releases.

Others have commented on the benefits to FreeBSD and NetBSD with regard
to the copy of clang and LLVM in the base system.  I agree with those.

I can see one issue for the ports collection.  One of the problems we
have right now is the need to maintain multiple versions of LLVM or
clang in the tree to accommodate dependent software that hasn't been
updated yet.  I expect that the existence of stable branches will cause
this to be more common as under-resourced projects skip releases.  I
think this is fine, but right now we can only install one version of
clang/llvm at a time because they use conflicting paths.

It would be really nice if LLVM and clang grew the ability to let
different versions be installed at the same time.  For gcc with install
each version as gccXX so gcc46, g++46, etc and specify per-version
directories to store all the libraries.  The key bits of the ports make
file (setting arguments to configure) are:

SUFFIX=		46
TARGLIB=        ${PREFIX}/lib/gcc${SUFFIX}
LIBEXEC=        ${PREFIX}/libexec/gcc${SUFFIX}
CONFIGURE_ARG=	--libdir=${TARGLIB} \
		--libexecdir=${LIBEXEC} \
		--program-suffix=${SUFFIX} \
		--with-gxx-include-dir=${TARGLIB}/include/c++/

-- Brooks