[LLVMdev] RFC: Bug fix releases for 3.3 and beyond

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Apr 3 08:39:31 PDT 2013

Sean Silva <silvas at purdue.edu> writes:

> The largest barrier that I see, which nobody seems to have mentioned, is
> the community culture.
[snip]

Well, the plan I described assumed "zero collaboration from the
developers" for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

IMO it is possible to bring a "maintenance branch" which is preferable
to the development branch for those LLVM users searching for stability,
without disturbing current development process. After all, you only need
to make it a more attractive option than jumping into ToT tracking.

> Also, it's not clear that we have the infrastructure to test these dot
> releases on all our supported platforms. IMHO, without that, it's hard to
> have much confidence in the dot release, and I wouldn't want to put out
> "LLVM 3.2.1, tested on Linux only".

If you cover a large fraction of the users, why not?