[LLVMdev] Windows x64 unwind info

Andrew MacPherson andrew.macp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 07:13:07 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm wondering about the status of Windows x64 unwind info in LLVM. We're
trying to print a simple stack trace on Windows exceptions, including
function names of JITted code (which we can roughly derive using addresses
from a JITEventListener). While this works fine in 32-bit mode, we're
unable to properly walk the stack in 64-bit since the unwind info doesn't
seem to be present for JITted functions.

It looks like there is code to generate the unwind info in
lib/MC/MCWin64EH.cpp but it's not clear that this is still in use. This
post from last fall seems to indicate that EH code for Win64 may have been
removed from the old JIT engine (which we are currently using):

http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2012-November/056204.html

Should Windows x64 unwind info currently exist for code emitted using
either the old JIT or the new MCJIT?

Thanks,
Andrew