[LLVMdev] [RFC] Overhauling Attributes

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Wed Sep 19 17:36:36 PDT 2012

If you make syntax changes please send patches to Pygments so that our
Sphinx docs remain pretty. Sphinx handles failures to lex in an
extremely non-graceful way; basically, it's policy is that if the code
it is asked to format as a particular language doesn't match it's
lexer, then it just gives up and leaves the entire block of code
unhighlighted :(

Even so much as using a keyword it doesn't recognize will cause it to
bail out immediately and leave the `.. code-block::` completely
unhighlighted. The relevant part of Pygments is
<https://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/pygments-main/src/e97df81b39c7/pygments/lexers/asm.py#cl-193>;
it's pretty self-explanatory.

...aside... When I was attempting to Sphinxify LangRef, I actually ran
into a couple such instances where new keywords had been introduced. I
never finished that attempt since I eventually realized that LangRef
is 8000 lines of HTML: some kind of automated conversion is going to
be necessary (even with fancy vim macros and stuff my ETA was still
unreasonable).

--Sean Silva