[LLVMdev] Offer of membership to LLVM into the Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc.

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Sep 19 11:34:46 PDT 2012

On Sep 19, 2012, at 10:14 AM, dag at cray.com wrote:
> "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn at sfconservancy.org> writes:
>> I'm sorry for the intrusion of a project policy discussion onto the
>> developer list, but there may be many here who may have thoughts, input,
>> or question regarding Conservancy's offer for LLVM's membership,
>> discussed below.  If you're not interested in that topic, please feel
>> free to ignore this message.
>
> I am interested but I must have missed some messages.  Chris and Tanya,
> can you explain what the goal is here?  Is LLVM lookinmg for funding,
> copyright enforcement or something else?

I responded on the other email more generally, but to answer these specific questions:

Yes, we would like to make it easier for companies and individuals to donate money, but also we need a way to be able to spend it.  The University of Illinois is our current solution - they are capable of accepting money and keep it in an ear-marked account, but our requests to actually spend it (e.g. for student travel) are outstripping their time resources, particularly because the University folks that end up having to do this aren't used to dealing with open source projects.

We are not interested in copyright enforcement at all.  In personal discussions with Bradley, he mentioned that they may be able to help us move the codebase to the MIT license, which would clarify that issue as well as resolve the current issues around runtime libraries.

-Chris