[LLVMdev] Proposal: New IR instruction for casting between address spaces

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Wed Sep 12 14:45:27 PDT 2012

[Villmow, Micah] Yeah, but the pointer won't point to the same location if the conversion from a smaller pointer to a larger pointer is zero extended.
Take two address spaces(1 and 2) that are 16 and 64 bits in size.
int(1) *a = 0xFFFFFFF9;
int(2) *b = *a;
Is b -10(SExt), or is it 4294967289(ZExt)?
This works for inttoptr and ptrtoint because there is an assumption that the pointer is always the same size. Maybe we even need to extend ptrtoint/inttoptr to handle this case by adding unsigned versions?