[LLVMdev] Stuck on linking llc on ARM

陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen) chenwj at iis.sinica.edu.tw
Tue Sep 11 01:36:35 PDT 2012

Hi David,

> |  David, do you build LLVM/Clang in what mode?

  Now I use "--enable-optimized" option to make a Release+Asserts build,
LLVM/Clang get built finally...

> Unfortunately I don't have any silver bullets. I'm using a Pandaboard with 1G of memory and 1G of swap, with as little other stuff running. Definitely don't build with debug symbols unless you are going to use them (which sometimes is important for use). I've also wrapped the linker to ensure only 1 instance is running at any given time. With that linking clang _just_ squeezes under the OOM threshold. As regards configure for a combined llvm+clant tree, I'm using
>
> env CC="ccache /usr/bin/gcc " CXX="ccache /usr/bin/g++ " ./configure -C --disable-bindings --build=armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi --host=armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi --target=armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi --with-cpu=cortex-a9 --with-fpu=neon --with-abi=aapcs --with-float=hard --enable-assertions

  Thanks for the tip.

> Getting stuck sounds like a strange symptom: I've seen plenty of OOM kills but never anything getting "stuck". Does vmstat indicate something is still going on (CPU, disk, etc)?

  Looks *not* out of memory, the ld (collect2) just keeps running, but
llc never get linked.

Regards,
chenwj

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,