[LLVMdev] The LLVMLinux Project
dl9pf at gmx.de
Sun Sep 9 06:01:26 PDT 2012
For LLVMLinux on i586/x86_64 the current status can be summarized by:
Thanks to the excellent work on patches by the PaX team and Bryce Lelbach
(lll-project) and their contributions to the LLVMLinux project we can
successfully build a v3.3 kernel which boots to console and desktop on x86.
Their patches are included in the LLVMLinux project repository.
The following issues still need resolution (of course patches welcome ;) ):
* The x86 portion of LLVMLinux is currently based upon kernel v3.3 - the
patches need to be split and rebased to HEAD so that the buildbot is able to
detect breakages early and also improve contributions to upstream projects.
* Module unloading fails/impossible. (Check required. Also on ARM)
- Module loading is fine (even binary blobs!).
Issues specific to x86 related to LLVM/Clang are:
* Macro support (WIP in upstream LLVM/Clang -
PaX-Team/Andy Zhang/Rafael Espindola)
* code16gcc support - low-level bootup code
(would need own backend, 16bit code currently unsupported)
* Lateron: take care of optimizations (e.g. missing -ffixed-REG,
-fcall-used-REG, -fcall-saved-REG ; we require
CONFIG_ARCH_HWEIGHT_CFLAGS to be off atm)
To get an "ordinary" system working with network, firewall, drivers we need
these issues resolved.
Contributions appreciated and patches welcome !
More information about the llvm-dev