[LLVMdev] Bitcasts between pointers with different address spaces

Mon Ping Wang monping at apple.com
Fri Sep 7 15:18:59 PDT 2012

Hi,

I don't think we should make bit casts between pointers with different address spaces illegal.  Address spaces are not required to be disjoint.  In the N1169 spec, it says
   A non-null pointer into an address space A can be cast to a pointer into another address space B, but such a cast is undefined if the source pointer does not point to a location in B.

If the address spaces overlap, one should be able to bticast between them.

-- Mon Ping