[LLVMdev] Tilera LLVM backend

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Thu Sep 6 08:32:35 PDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 07:48:48PM +0200, JUHASZ David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to inform the community that I'm releasing the backend for
> tile64 I developed in the past several months. It can be downloaded from
>
> http://pnyf.inf.elte.hu/juhda/projects/tilera/
>
> The version for LLVM 3.1 is a minimalist functioning implementation. Now
> I am working on utilizing the VLIW packetizer of LLVM, and other
> improvements are planned for the future.
>
> I would be pleased to answer your comments and questions about the
> backend both via this mailing list or in private message. Bug reports
> are also very welcomed. :-)

Hi David,

I took a quick look at this, and it looks pretty good.  I'm also working
on a VLIW target called R600[1] for AMD GPUs, so I'm interested in the
VLIW packetizer as well.

A few questions / comments:

1. You should look into upgrading your AsmPrinter to use the MC layer.
It has a lot of really nice features, and if you are planning to do a
code emitter you will want to use it, since the old style code emitter
may be deprecated at some point.

2. Are you planning to add a code emitter?

3. Is this something you'd eventually like to get upstream into the main
LLVM tree?

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~tstellar/llvm/tree/lib/Target/AMDGPU?h=r600-review-v8

-Tom