[LLVMdev] [NVPTX] powf intrinsic in unimplemented

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 07:18:01 PDT 2012

On 09/06/2012 10:02 AM, Dmitry N. Mikushin wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> During app compilation we have a crash in NVPTX backend:
>
> LLVM ERROR: Cannot select: 0x732b270: i64 = ExternalSymbol'__powisf2' [ID=18]
>
> As I understand LLVM tries to lower the following call
>
> %28 = call ptx_device float @llvm.powi.f32(float 2.000000e+00, i32 %8)
> nounwind readonly
>
> to device intrinsic. The table llvm/IntrinsicsNVVM.td does not contain
> such intrinsic, however it should be builtin, according to
> cuda/include/math_functions.h

It actually gets lowered into an external function call.

> Is my understanding correct, and we need simply add the corresponding
> definition to llvm/IntrinsicsNVVM.td ? How to do that, what are the
> rules?

PTX does not have an instruction (or simple series of instructions) that
implements pow, so this will not be handled.  I would prefer not to
lower such things in the back-end since different compilers may want to
implement such functions differently based on speed vs. accuracy
trade-offs.

There also is no standard libm for PTX.  It is up to the higher-level
compiler to link against a run-time library that provides functions like
pow (see include/math_functions.h in a CUDA distribution).

> Thanks,
> - D.

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski