[LLVMdev] help: the best ways of contribution for a beginner ?

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Tue Sep 4 13:42:46 PDT 2012

I highly recommend lurking on the mailing lists (llvmdev,
llvm-commits, cfe-dev, cfe-commits) and lurking on IRC; this is to get
a feel for the community rules and expectations. As you get more
comfortable with the community, you will naturally begin to interact;
I wouldn't try to force this.

At the same time, you also will want to read all of the available
documentation about the development process and coding standards etc.

At the same time, you should get started checking out and building
LLVM and Clang. I wrote up a brief explanation of how I set up my
build environment here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.clang.devel/22594.
Although there are Makefiles and the official repo is in SVN, I
believe that Git+CMake+Ninja like I use in my setup is fairly typical
among developers here. Also start using Clang as your main compiler
for things (e.g. for building LLVM/Clang itself; it's faster, anyway
:P ).

What you do next will depend on the type of thing that you want to do.

One last thing: the C++ API's (e.g., almost all of the code) are not
stable; you pretty much have to be working off of the top of the tree
constantly, and reintegrating daily (or at least weekly).

--Sean Silva