[LLVMdev] DBG_VALUE instruction format and generation

Alexey Samsonov samsonov at google.com
Mon Sep 3 09:05:45 PDT 2012

+llvmdev
-llvm-commits

Hi!

I've got the following questions about DBG_VALUE instruction:
1) When I dump this instruction I see the line of the form:
  DBG_VALUE %EDI, 0, !"a"; line no:47
for two completely different cases:
  * when value of "a" is actually stored in a register %edi  (this should
be encoded as "DW_OP_reg5" in DWARF).
  * when value of "a" is stored in memory at address stored in
%edi ("DW_OP_breg5, 0" in DWARF).

Currently LLVM handles this in favor of first case, and produces wrong
debug info for the second case. Can these cases
actually be distinguished, and if yes, where should I take a look?

2) This one is more general. I'm trying to make "clang -g" work well with
AddressSanitizer instrumentation enabled
(currently generated debug info for variables is pretty much
inconsistent) and need to develop a workflow somehow.
ASan works with llvm IR, so there are no machine instructions, just
llvm.dbg.declare / llvm.dbg.value  intrinsics, which
are ignored by ASan. How can IR transforms (inserting function calls, basic
blocks, etc.) hurt turning llvm.dbg intrinsic into
a set of DBG_VALUE instructions? What is the best way I can actually see
what's going on when we generate machine instructions from IR?

TIA

--
Alexey Samsonov, MSK