[LLVMdev] x86 Frame Pointer with AVX

Cameron McInally cameron.mcinally at nyu.edu
Tue Oct 23 08:43:00 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com>wrote:

> > In trunk, the frame pointer is always set up when an AVX register is
> used in
> > a function. This is done in case 32-byte spill code is later introduced
> into
> > the function and hence dynamic stack realignment is needed. Needless to
> say,
> > it's a big hammer. This regression seems particularly painful in
> > small-to-medium sized routines that are called frequently in some codes.
> >

> > Is this issue already known? Is there a plan to fix this regression? If
> not,
> > does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to remedy this issue?
> >

> You'd need to change the default stack alignment of the platform to
> deal with it effectively.

Hey Eric,

Thanks for replying so quickly. Would you elaborate on this further?

It seems costly to change the default stack alignment on the platform,
since that would require recompiling all of the system and user libraries
to also adhere to 32-byte stack alignment. Depending on an alignment not
specified by the ABI would also limit our compiler's interoperability with
other compilers installed on the system.

I suppose that the stack could be aligned dynamically at main(...) and
other visible entry points, but that too seems costly compared to the
current M.O..

Maybe I do not fully understand all the issues involved, but I suppose I
should be able to dynamically align the stack only when AVX registers are
spilled in a function, right? Seems reasonable with my limited knowledge.
Do you have any intuition built? It could be possible that the
prologue/epilogue emitters run prior to the spilling decisions. I am not so
sure of the ordering here.

Also, and this might be asking a lot, but do you have any insight into why
this behaviour changed sometime around the LLVM 3.0 release? I have not
been able to find much history.

Thanks again,
Cameron