[LLVMdev] DWARF 2/3 backwards compatibility?

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Wed Oct 17 14:17:58 PDT 2012

On 17 October 2012 21:09, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1) What level of interest is there in Dwarf backward compatibility;
>
> I don't have a lot of interest in keeping dwarf backward compatibility
> past my ability to test things, hence the option for darwin's gdb.

Very few people have, and Dwarf is not an easy target, so the cost of
having a fully compatible Dwarf (2 and 3) is not low.

Also, as Eric mentions, the GDB test suite is not the most gracious
thing to setup and keep tidy for the many platforms LLVM supports.

With time, you might get to a point where Dwarf is a first-class
citizen and there will be basic compatibility checks in "make check"
and a build bot for GDB test suite on some platforms, but to get
there, you'll go through a lot of pain.

And I don't think you'll be able to recruit too many people for that
crusade, either... ;)

Dwarf implementation in LLVM, as far as I know, is ad-hoc, so you'll
have to do some refactoring (for good) on the debug emission code.

Eric,

What about the LLDB, does it support Dwarf? Is it good enough for C *and* C++?

--
cheers,
--renato

http://systemcall.org/