[LLVMdev] MI DAG constructor indeterminism

Sergei Larin slarin at codeaurora.org
Tue Oct 16 13:43:57 PDT 2012

Andy,

  This is less of a question but rather a status quo verification.

   We currently have certain indeterminism in MI scheduler DAG construction
- it is introduces by the use of std::map/std::set during edge traversal.

Result - a random variation in SUnit edge order (which will remain fixed
thereafter). Logically, it is the same DAG, but topologically it is a
slightly different one, and if some algorithm is dependent on the order of
edge traversal, we can have performance and debugging indeterminism. The way
I have discovered it - VLIW scheduler can produce identical cost function
for a pair of SUs, making visitation order the tie breaker, which is not
deterministic per above discussion. For me it is trivial to fix, but I
wonder if this might become a source of well hidden issues in the future.

  I am at this time not proposing anything - a fix is definitely possible,
but I wonder what people think about it before I even consider this a bug.

Thanks.

Sergei

---

Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by
The Linux Foundation