[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] OpenMP support in CLANG: A proposal

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 17:10:58 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Mahesha HS <mahesha.llvm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We would like to make a proposal to support OpenMP in CLANG. The goal of
> this effort is to provide support for syntax
>
> analysis (parsing), semantic analysis and AST implementation for OpenMP
> constructs in CLANG.
>

> We would like to defer the design for *lowering* based on the outcome of the
> discussion happening in the LLVM dev list.
>
> Our design is aimed at implementing the necessary support in CLANG
> irrespective of how it is finally *lowered*.
>

> Please find the details of the proposal and the current status in the
> document attached.

Please don't add a separate clangOMP.a; you're implementing new
parsing and semantic analysis, but it isn't conceptually separate from
the existing parsing/semantic analysis.

I'm not entirely sure what sort of feedback you're expecting; ignoring
the lowering, the part of implementing OpenMP that's likely to attract
discussion is the AST representation, and you haven't described that
in any detail.

If you have patches that implement useful functionality; please submit
sooner rather than later.  Doing a bunch of work in a private branch
will mean more work for you in the long run because you won't get any
feedback.

-Eli\