[LLVMdev] loop pragmas

Bjorn De Sutter bjorn.desutter at elis.ugent.be
Tue Nov 27 04:49:39 PST 2012

I am thinking about another use of annotations that fits in a longer term vision, which centers around feeding compilers with information from higher-level tools such as precompilers.

Deciding how to map a portable piece of software to a heterogeneous multicore processor and get the best performance for a range of widely varying architectures, requires much higher level code analysis than what is possible in "standard" compilers on their relatively low-level IRs. To have portable performance and high programmer productivity, an application will need to be written in a higher-level language, like Julia, MATLAB, ... that can deliver much of the needed information to the compilers, for example by using parallel programming patterns (see Berkeley Parlab), and that allows a compiler to choose among different implementations of algorithms and data structures (see Petabricks). Building compiler front-ends, middle-ends and back-ends from scratch that can use all information available in such programs and that produce high-quality code for a range of architectures is undoable for most if not all research labs.

And it should also not be necessary: many excellent lower-level language compilers already exist, some of which support a wide range of architectures, such as LLVM (OoO CPUs, VLIWs, GPUs, CGRAs in my own backend and in Samsung's proprietary SRP backend, etc.). So for research purposes and hopefully later also real-world development if the research results are good, ideally we would have to only develop the necessary precompiler tools that take in very high-level code and that produce tuned lower-level (C or bitcode or LLVM IR or ...) after high-level analysis and target-dependent optimisations and selections, after which LLVM then takes care of the further low-level optimizations and specific code generation for the different targets in the heterogeneous multicore.

To facilitate research in this direction and use LLVM in such a tool flow, it is absolutely necessary that both the precompiler and the researcher doing manual experiments can steer the low-level LLVM compiler with code annotations such as loop pragmas or attributes, simply because once the code is in a lower-level form such as C or bitcode or LLVM IR, there is not enough information available in the code itself to select the best low-level transformations.

It is interesting to note that in such an approach, the precompiler probably would be trained with machine learning. If this is the case, it might also be able to learn which annotations actually influence the compiler and which do not, for example because they are destroyed before some optimization pass is executed. So the precompiler can learn to generate code tuned for specific targets taking into account all limitations of the compiler that will do the actual code generation, including its incomplete or stupid or whatever support for pragmas and other such things...

Best,

Bjorn