[LLVMdev] Need help with generating executables from llvm

Chinmaya Dattathri d.chinmaya at utexas.edu
Sun Nov 25 23:52:06 PST 2012

Hi,
  We are using llvm for our project on code generation and we are stuck at
something very simple but hard to find on the internet. Hence the mail. We
need to generate .out (executables that can run on linux) from .s file. We
are right now trying it out on coreutils package(who, ls etc). We have
generated who.bc, who.s using llvm tools but are unable to get an
executable from the .s (rather we dont know how to).
We tried
1) llvm-ld (llvm-ld: warning: Ignoring file 'who.bc' because does not
contain bitcode.).
2) llc -filetype=obj who.bc , followed by ./who.o  (bash: ./who.o: cannot
execute binary file)
The above actually carry out .bc to .o translation. We are more interested
in .s to .o

 We saw this mail on the website and found out we were stuck at kind of the
same spot. http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2012-May/050143.html
Can you help us with it or maybe direct us to a verbose documentation of
how executables are generated?

--
Chinmaya Dattathri
cd25658