[LLVMdev] Removing old JIT CodeEmitters for ARM and PPC

Negar Mir nmiralaei at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 09:18:08 PST 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Benjamin Kramer <benny.kra at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 24.11.2012, at 17:53, Negar Mir <nmiralaei at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your information. So, do you think it's better working with
> MCJIT instead of JIT specially for ARM platforms? I'm going to work on .bc
> files of some benchmarks for ARM platform. And, I decided to work with the
> JIT. Now, you proposed working with MCJIT. Could I get all the benefits of
> JIT in MCJIT as well?
>
> The big missing feature from the MC JIT is lazy compilation, so it will
> compile all your code upfront instead of on a per-function basis. You still
> get all other benefits of the JIT. You can also use the old JIT for x86 and
> MCJIT on other targets with no big issues.
>
> Did you try to use the old JIT on ARM yet? As far as I know it doesn't
> work at all, so MCJIT is a strict improvement.

Well, I just checked the lli command for a small and easy benchmark, and it
seems that it works alright. But, I should do some analysis on my benchmark
set first, which makes it more sophisticated working on a simulator and
with an arm image. Working with JIT is my next step! Anyway, I'll check
both of them within the next two weeks and will tell you how's everything
on the old JIT or the MCJIT.

Regards
Negar