[LLVMdev] Disable loop unroll pass

Shuxin Yang shuxin.llvm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 10:20:16 PST 2012

Hi, Ivan:

   Sorry for deviating the topic a bit. As I told you before I'm a LLVM
newbie, I cannot
give you conclusive answer if the proposed interface is ok or not.

   My personal opinion on these two interface is summarized bellow:

- hasZeroCostLoop()
    pro: it is clearly state the HW support.
    con: Having zero cost loop doesn't imply the benefit HW loop could
achieve.
            It is not clear as to if HW-loop conflict with unrolling
etc. So optimizer
            has no idea how to use this interface.  If you just call
this interface to disable
            unrolling, that would be overkill on some arch which has HW
support, as
            on such arch HW-loop and unrolling are orthogonal.

  - hasLoopZeroCostTopology(Loop *L, unsigend TripCount)
       Why trip-count? It can be derived from the loop itself.
       Which optimizer will call this interface?

  I would suggest following interface:

    /// get unrolling factor of given *INNERMOST* loop from HW's
perspective.
    /// Note: this interface is for innermost loop only. Getting the factor
    /// for unroll-and-jam should call other interface.
    virtual int getHwUnrollFactor (Loop*, unsigned CurUnrollingFactor) {
        // by default, no object to the proposed unrolling factor.
        return CurUnrollingFactor;
    }

   I think this interface would completely shield "zero-cost-loop" from
higher level
optimizer, and you certainly can achieve whatever you want in your
virtual function
implementation.

    How does this sound to you? Eli?

Thanks