[LLVMdev] svn mirror git?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Nov 19 05:09:45 PST 2012

Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> writes:

> You missed what is (IMO) the most important point: LLVM's development
> process and VCS optimize for active developers working in the open on
> mainline LLVM. They don't optimize for private forks or other
> development processes. This isn't an accident, and it helps
> incentivize members of the community to contribute early and in small,
> incremental patches.

It is desirable to incentivize members to contribute early and in small,
incremental patches?

The impression I got from all those years using and (occasionally)
watching the development of LLVM is that it is prone to incorporate
non-functional or deficient code coming from half-done or tentative
projects. That code is removed sooner or later, but it creates noise for
both developers and users. Sometimes it is destabilizing too.

Then, it is a bit hard to understand the preference some people show for
reviewing the introduction of a feature as a series of patches
introducing non-definitive code, distributed along a significant time
and mixed in the same queue with dozens of unrelated patches, instead of
a cohesive, well-defined and ready-to-run series of patches that clearly
implements the advertised feature. The only explanation I can think of
is a mind-state created by old development styles, when CVS-style tools
(like svn) were the only option and accepting any sizable code
contribution was a nightmare.

[snip]