[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] !!! 3.2 Release branch patching and the Code Owners

Pawel Wodnicki pawel at 32bitmicro.com
Sat Nov 17 17:18:28 PST 2012

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Pawel Wodnicki <pawel at 32bitmicro.com>wrote:

>> not sure if it serves Chris's original intent. I don't think that we need
>> to change every file nor do we need an automatic tool to find the owner. I
>> think that a simple text file, or a section in the docs is enough.
>>>
>>> I agree.  What problem are we trying to solve here?  Are people
>> approving patches that they shouldn't?
>>>
>>> -Chris
>>>

>> Rather it is the opposite, people are not approving patches they should.
>>

> Can you provide some examples of the problems you are seeing?

Here is what happens.

I get a message "could you please include/add/merge this r16xxxx into
3.2?". And my immediate reaction is sure, no problem this fixes
PR/issue/crash so it is important. But are you the code owner
and do you approve? So I have to go and start checking because
that is the process. In the past few days CODE_OWNERS.TXT
on the trunk has been changing while 3.2 has been stable,
I work on 3.2 branch so I have sent couple of e-mails
to wrong people.

Anyway, it was not my intention to cause message storm and this is
taking way too much bandwidth on the list. As always, change is
causing breakages until we all learn how to do it efficiently.
I have now a way to identify the code owners.

All I am asking is for the code owners to state clearly that
the change they ask for is approved. Couple of examples
from real e-mails:

approved APPROVED *approved*

Pawel

P.S.
I'll even take
"I am the code owner and I approve this message!"