[LLVMdev] svn mirror git?

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 15:45:44 PST 2012

David A. Green wrote:
> However, I don't think rebase is really the issue here.

Thanks David.  After a bit of experimentation, I see you are quite
right, my "rebase" problem is actually a "squash" problem.  As it
turns out, every time I've rebased, and then a later pull caused a
manual merge, it was because I had also squashed in changes from a
code review.

So here's the problematic workflow:

1) fork mainline
2) add patch to fork
3) submit patch to mainline for review
4) patch the patch as part of review process
5) squash "patch of patch" into "patch"
6) mainline accepts squashed patch
7) merge into private fork, and kaboom!

In this workflow, git can't possibly know whether I want the patch or
patched-patch.  They represent different solutions to the same
problem.

An automation-friendly workflow:

4.5) submit "patch of patch" to private fork.

Then, when you merge, the history will include your original patch,
the patched-patch, and the squashed patch, and a 'merge' patch that
tells git that little mess is no problem.

I retract my proposal and apologize for the noise.  I guess I'll have
to find some other reason to throw a big party.  Suggestions welcome.
:-)

-Greg