[LLVMdev] code-owner sporks

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Fri Nov 16 15:19:20 PST 2012

> - I have to *remember* I submitted the patch (not hard, but it is a
>   cost).

If you forgot, the chances are high that the patch was unimportant. I
do my development on local git branches, so every time I do `git
branch`, I'm reminded. There's really no overhead.

> - I have to save that e-mail from llvm-commits so I can refer to it when
>   the inevitable ping is necessary.

Maybe you need a better mail-reader? In gmail I just look in my "sent
mail" or if I have sent a lot of mail recently I search "is:sent
has:attachment". It literally takes 10 seconds.

> - I have to wade through tons and tons of commit e-mails searching for a
>   response to my patch (for some reason the mailing list software often
>   breaks threading).  This is a more general problem with the current
>   review process, not strictly a timeliness issue.

Sounds like you need a better mail reader. I have never heard of this
even remotely being a problem in any way, at all, ever.

> - I have to send a ping e-mail.

Once again, this takes like what, 10 seconds? I find it highly
unlikely that 10 seconds is a non-negligible amount of time compared
to the time spent coding, building, and testing any non-obvious (i.e.
needing review) change.

> - Now I have to look for responses to *two* e-mails.

You definitely need a better mail reader. In every mail reader I've
ever seen, both mails get clustered into a thread. Maybe this is the
root cause of your vehement dissatisfaction with the current
email-based system?

> In short, e-mail is a very poor vehicle for managing this kind of
> process.  I hope that the patch queue in testing helps alleviate the
> poor response time problem.  Even just an acknowlegement, "hey I got
> your patch but it will be a few days before I can review it", would help
> a lot.

Have you considered the amount of quality code that gets produced with
the current process? What kind of improvements can we expect from such
a system? Are there advantages that email has over a more structured
sort of review system like Phabricator? If so, does the current
development process take advantage of them (and hence would be
*negatively* impacted by the switch)? Are you sure that the bottleneck
which causes high review latency isn't elsewhere in the system? Or, as
counterintuitive as it may seem, perhaps all of the things you are
pointing to as problematic (e.g. review latency, patches getting
dropped) are actually *beneficial* (maybe it prevents less-determined
people from becoming contributors? idk, I'm not willing to rule it out
without more careful analysis).

-- Sean Silva