[LLVMdev] svn mirror git?

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Thu Nov 15 16:12:38 PST 2012

>> Most development is not "some contributor's fork".
>
> Well, in the git model every developer has a fork.
>
>> What you suggest works great for the occasional drive-by
>> contributors, but most development is not from drive-by's.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "drive-by" but in git this is really
> irrelevant, I think.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I was trying to contrast with the
status quo. By "drive-by" I *roughly* mean "people without commit
access" (i.e. that aren't consistently delivering patches). In his
scenario there is "contributor" and "maintainer". What I was trying to
get across is that most development (in the status quo) is actually
done by people that are closer to the "maintainer" role, so making it
easy for "contributor" is not a gigantic priority; although, (and I
speak from my own experience from before I had commit access), when
you're not a committer, it really *seems* like the "contributor" role
is the only one that matters.

Also, "contributor" is not going to be sending in huge changes, so the
overhead of git-fetch'ing from github or wherever is probably going to
be greater than git-apply of an attached patch.

-- Sean Silva