[LLVMdev] [RFC] OpenMP Representation in LLVM IR

Krzysztof Parzyszek kparzysz at codeaurora.org
Wed Nov 7 09:21:12 PST 2012

On 10/2/2012 2:31 PM, dag at cray.com wrote:

> Sure, I understand the whys of the proposal and I understand that
> intrisics can be valuable.  I don't want to lose the low-level nature of
> LLVM and these proposals (not just parallelization, but GPU IR,
> eval-style inline bitcode, etc.) are starting to feel like
> mission-creep.

The "opt" in LLVM transforms bitcode into bitcode, which can be looked
at as a "high-level" optimizer.  Low-level optimizations would be those
that work on machine instructions.

I think that the bitcode optimizer is the right place to do the OMP
implementation.  Parallelization infrastructure will be complex wherever
we choose to add it to.  It is necessary for LLVM/clang to be
competitive, so I don't see it as a mission creep, more like a next step
in LLVM's evolution.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation