[LLVMdev] Using LLVM to serialize object state -- and performance

Paul J. Lucas paul at lucasmail.org
Tue Nov 6 07:43:30 PST 2012

Thanks for responding.  Sorry for the delay in my reply, but I was dealing with hurricane Sandy.  Anyway....

My software build produces libmylib.so.  The JIT'd function only calls external C functions in libmylib.so and not other JIT'd functions.  The C functions are simple thunks to call constructors.  For example, given:

	class BinaryNode : public Node {
	public:
	  BinaryNode( Node *left, Node *right );
	  // ...
	};

there exists a C thunk:

	void* T_BinaryNode_new_2Pv( void *left, void *right ) {
	  return new BinaryNode( (Node*)left, (Node*)right );
	}

The JIT'd function is just a sequence of such calls to thunks to build up an object tree.  The idea is to generate LLVM code, write it out to disk, terminate execution of the current program's process; then, at some later time, start a new process for the program, read in the previously generated LLVM code from disk, call the JIT function that will reconstitute the state of the tree just as it was.

Elsewhere in my code, I keep a set of llvm::Function*'s, one for each thunk.  For each function, I use ExecutionEngine::addGlobalMapping() to bind the Function* to the actual thunk.  The binding does use Module::getFunction().  Oddly, on Mac OS X, I only have to do this when my program is creating the LLVM code; on Linux, I also have to do it when my program is reading the LLVM code back in and trying to execute it.

Hopefully, I've explained this better.

You then later wrote:

> The default JITMemoryManager implementation uses sys::DynamicLibrary::SearchForAddressOfSymbol to find the function.  If you know all of the names and addresses of the functions that will need to be resolved, you can provide a custom memory manager implementation to optimize this external function resolution.

Based on my clarification, is this still the best course of action?

- Paul