[LLVMdev] DependenceAnalysis and PR14241

Preston Briggs preston.briggs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:21:38 PDT 2012

I see, thanks Ben.

So yes, I certainly misunderstood (more likely "misunderstand") how things
work.

My initial guess is that a conservative fix is quick and small (make sure
the underlying pointers are loop invariant, otherwise give up). A better
approach would be to somehow turn code like the example into array
references that can be analyzed. I'll need to think about this and do some
reading.

Regarding testing... I wrote it the way I did to allow me to focus on
particular tests without being distracted by the n^2 explosion resulting
from testing everything against everything. But I can see the problem of
not being able to handle arbitrary test cases that come from real examples,
so I guess it'll need to be changed.

Thanks for your efforts,
Preston