[LLVMdev] problem trying to write an LLVM register-allocation pass

Susan Horwitz horwitz at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 1 08:33:46 PDT 2012

Lang -

My previous problem (the failed assertion due to a vreg that was not
used or defined) was because I was using a debugging version of LLVM
with assertions enabled.  It seems that there are "extra" assertions in
that version.

When I run my register allocator in the "normal" version of LLVM, there
is no problem with that simple example.

However, for other examples that have instructions that do use/define
virtual registers, I'm getting bad assembly code.

I would really like to avoid changing to the "indirect" approach to
register mapping that you suggest (if possible).  My code using the
"direct" approach worked fine with an old version of LLVM, and I would
like to get it to work with llvm-3.1.

I wrote a very simple register allocator (attached) that just replaces
each vreg in the code with the first preg in its class.  I understand
that this is not going to give me correct register usage, but it should
at least give me assembly code that can be assembled.  However, it does
not.  I get this error from the assembler:

  Error: Incorrect register `%rax' used with `l' suffix

cause by this instruction:

  cmpl    $1, %rax

The input is tst.c (also attached).

Any help you can provide in understanding what is causing this problem
would be much appreciated.  I'm not even sure which instance of a vreg
is causing the problem.  I used to be able to print machine instructions
by just using <<, but that no longer works.  So even help with that
aspect of the problem would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Susan