[LLVMdev] LLVM/Clang SVN: 2 Questions

Kevin Kelley kevin at kelleysoft.com
Thu May 31 08:43:47 PDT 2012

On 5/31/2012 9:25 AM, Kevin Kelley wrote:

> On 5/31/2012 8:52 AM, Justin Holewinski wrote:
>> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:44 AM, MortenMacFly <mac-fly at gmx.net
>> <mailto:mac-fly at gmx.net>> wrote:
>>

>>     Windows7, Cmake 2.8.8, MinGW 4.6.1. compiler:
>>
>>     I got two questions seeking for help:
>>
>>     1.) I am trying to compile LLVM/Clang from trunk using the
>>     instructions from
>>     the LLVM homepage which works fine except that the llvm-config
>>     tool is not
>>     being built. When I do a "make" in the "tools\llvm-config" folder
>>     it fails,
>>     too with:
>>     ../../Makefile.common:60: ../../Makefile.config: No such file or
>>     directory
>>     ../../Makefile.common:68: /Makefile.rules: No such file or directory
>>     mingw32-make.exe: *** No rule to make target `/Makefile.rules'.
>>      Stop.
>>     Those files are there, so I am a bit lost. Is there a
>>     configuration switch I
>>     am missing to build this tool? I searched through the Cmake
>>     options, but I
>>     could not find any.
>>

>> The llvm-config tool is not built on Windows, since it requires sed
>> which is not available by default on Windows.  I actually have a
>> patch for this somewhere (build llvm-config on Windows if sed is
>> found), I'll try to find it and post it.
>
> This "No Makefile.rules" problem is different, and recent, from what I
> see.

clues come slow through bone...

My previous post describes building in a fresh VM, with newly
installed and current tools.  My last weeks' failures (as OP) may
indeed have been sed-related -- my base system turns out
to have a copy of sed.exe with a filedate of 2002, in the GoW
(GnuOnWindows) dist, which I liked because it's very small.

Using current tools in a not-hacked-up system, automake
build works just fine.

Kevin