[LLVMdev] LLVM/Clang SVN: 2 Questions

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Thu May 31 06:52:44 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:44 AM, MortenMacFly <mac-fly at gmx.net> wrote:

> Windows7, Cmake 2.8.8, MinGW 4.6.1. compiler:
>
> I got two questions seeking for help:
>
> 1.) I am trying to compile LLVM/Clang from trunk using the instructions
> from
> the LLVM homepage which works fine except that the llvm-config tool is not
> being built. When I do a "make" in the "tools\llvm-config" folder it fails,
> too with:
> ../../Makefile.common:60: ../../Makefile.config: No such file or directory
> ../../Makefile.common:68: /Makefile.rules: No such file or directory
> mingw32-make.exe: *** No rule to make target `/Makefile.rules'.  Stop.
> Those files are there, so I am a bit lost. Is there a configuration switch
> am missing to build this tool? I searched through the Cmake options, but I
> could not find any.

The llvm-config tool is not built on Windows, since it requires sed which
is not available by default on Windows.  I actually have a patch for this
somewhere (build llvm-config on Windows if sed is found), I'll try to find
it and post it.

> 2.) Can I actually compile Windows resource files (*.rc) with Clang? What
> would I need to if my project requires a Windows resource file and I want
> compile it using Clang? Linking against a MinGW/windres compiled resource?

As far as I know, MinGW's windres or the Windows SDK's rc.exe is required.
 But this is not my area of expertise...

> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> --

Thanks,