[LLVMdev] Documentation: How to Setup a Windows Buildbot Slave

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at lyngvig.org
Sat May 26 22:43:18 PDT 2012

Hi,

Here's my first draft proposal for a document on how to setup a Windows box
for building LLVM and Clang using MinGW(32/64).

The document can serve equally as a procedure for how to configure a
Windows box to build LLVM and Clang using MinGW(32/64), and as a procedure
for how to set up a build slave.

The only thing that is untested is the actual procedure of registering a
buildbot slave with LLVM.org and have LLVM.org use that slave.  I hesitate
to submit my machine because I have now realized that I need something
faster than an Intel Atom 1.6 GHz with 2 gigabytes RAM to serve as a build
machine.  I have purchased another machine for this purpose, but it will
take a few weeks before I get it.  So I figure the time until then can be
used to have you review, critize, and comment upon what I have written so
far.

Please be adviced that I have the habit of checking my pride at the door
when I develop software, so _all_ suggestions, enhancement requests,
comments, critique, etc. are welcome.  Also, if you think that the document
is completely superflous, I'll be willing to listen to you.  I just happen
to think that this document might attract Windows users without Unix
experience.

As my native language is Danish, I readily admit that there will be grammar
and spelling errors in the document.  Please let me know about these.

The trick that one can use Microsoft Visual Studio for all but linking
should be included somewhere, in the MS VS documentation I think, but not
here.

One more thing, I have forgotten up until now is to add a section on how to
debug MinGW executables using the Cygwin version of "ddd".  Most Windows
users will reject the whole idea of using GDB for anything but identifying
trap points in a core dump.

Please see the attached ZIP archive for details.

Cheers,
Mikael