[LLVMdev] Quick question: LLVM.org documentation tool?

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at lyngvig.org
Sat May 26 16:33:38 PDT 2012

> It is written by hand.

Okay, no problem.

Windows-related documentation relies on voluntary contributions, so
> please go ahead and improve it.

I'll send in a new document entitled something like "Setting up a Windows
build slave" or so.   I start out right from the beginning:

   1. Pick a machine to use for LLVM.  Dedicate this machine to be a
permanent LLVM build slave.
   2. Reinstall Windows from scratch (so as to be sure why and how you got
the result you got).
   3. Create an account named Build.
   4. Configure Windows to automatically log into the Build account by
doing ...

> What type of problems are you experiencing? Config? Build? Compiler?
> Testing? What build system are you using? (cmake or configure)

The main problem was that it took me a while to figure out how to get
flying.  The Mingw64 site at SourceForge does not seem to provide prebuilt
Windows binaries (AFAIK), so I had to resort to picking up prebuilt
binaries from a code.google.com site.  Also, figuring out how to get and
install all the loose components that are required, took a while.  Nothing
overly troublesome, but I happen to believe in explicit, zero-assumption
documentation so I decided to write something up so that perhaps others
will take on the rather simple, yet time-consuming, task of setting up a
Windows slave.

I am using CMake -G "MinGW Makefiles", "make -j2", and the MINGW64
binaries.  I expected this to cause problems, because of the potential for
incorrectly defined platform macros, but everything seems to build just
fine.  I probably won't see the results of the tests until tomorrow
sometime.

Much to my surprise, everything has run fine since I started the build.
 The main issue is that the build box is a VERY slow Intel Atom X2 1.6 GHz
machine so it takes ages for it to complete the build (it has been running
for three or four hours now).  I have arranged to get a faster box soon,
but for the time being it is all I have.  So I simply cannot tell whether
or not everything is okay.  But at least the build hasn't aborted and the
percentage indicator is at eightysomething.

I am very optimistic as to the outcome of the build, even though I do know
that some of the tools and tests aren't fully supported on Windows.

Cheers,
Mikael