[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] -fbounds-checking vs {SAFECode,ASan}

PaX Team pageexec at freemail.hu
Fri May 25 01:53:23 PDT 2012

On 24 May 2012 at 11:21, John Criswell wrote:

> I don't think Nuno is trying to make a tool that helps diagnose memory
> safety problems.  Instead, he's trying to build a tool that prevents
> exploitation of code at run-time.  A single trap block is the correct
> approach for that goal.

post-mortem forensic analysis is just as important as detecting/preventing
the exploit attempt itself (otherwise you will never figure out the original
bug, never mind its siblings elsewhere). so any information that helps to
determine the exact failure path is useful, especially if it's as cheap as
an int3 or ud2 on x86.