[LLVMdev] -fbounds-checking vs {SAFECode,ASan}

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Thu May 24 03:41:30 PDT 2012

Hi Kostya, I'm also curious to know where Nuno is going with this, and the
details of his design.  I'm worried he might be reinventing the wheel.  I'm
also worried that he may be inventing a square wheel :)

> I noticed your commits related to -fbounds-checking and have some questions.
> The functionality of this new phase seems to (partially?) overlap with
> AddressSanitizer and SAFECode,
> so I am curious how would you compare the two existing tools with the new one.
>
> Earlier you wrote:
>> > So the main idea of this new flag is not for debugging, but rather for
> production.
>> > This means that we won't be able to perform as many checks as
>> > AddressSanitizer,

If it is to be like AddressSanitizer but with less checks, maybe it should be a
mode for AddressSanitizer that just does fewer checks...

Ciao, Duncan.