[LLVMdev] Windows question: Dozens of linker warnings and errors

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Wed May 23 22:07:40 PDT 2012

On 05/24/2012 03:37 AM, Michael Spencer wrote:
> LLVM already supports Windows quite well. The issue is clang and the
> MS C++ ABI. If you are writing your own language that does not need to
> interact with the C++ ABI then everything will be fine.

I can confirm this. Even if you do need to interface to C/C++, clang
works fine for that as long as you stick to the mingw libraries instead
of msvc. There are already a number of full-blown LLVM-based language
projects by 3rd parties you can take a look at, see
http://llvm.org/releases/3.1/docs/ReleaseNotes.html#externalproj.

Speaking about my own project (http://pure-lang.googlecode.com/), we've
had that up and running on Linux, *BSD, OS X and Windows at least since
the days of LLVM 2.5, using first llvm-gcc and then clang as an
LLVM-capable C/C++ compiler for inlining C/C++ in Pure. I vaguely recall
some issues with clang 3.0 on Windows due to hardcoded paths. But clang
2.9 has been working great on Windows for me and other Pure users,
hopefully 3.1 will be the same.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag