[LLVMdev] Minor error message extracting clang-3.0.tar.gz on Windows

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at lyngvig.org
Wed May 23 14:18:25 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am building LLVM v3.0 for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit, and when I extract
the files from the tar archive, I get the following error:

*********************
c:\tmp\llvm-3.0.src-win32\tools>tar xzf \tmp\clang-3.0.tar.gz
clang-3.0.src/tools/scan-build/c++-analyzer: Can't create
'clang-3.0.src/tools/scan-build/c++-analyzer': No such file or directory
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

c:\tmp\llvm-3.0.src-win32\tools>tar --version
bsdtar 2.4.12 - libarchive 2.4.12
************************

As you can see, I use BSD tar instead of GNU tar because of the former
supports more file formats and for other reasons I can't recall right now.
I don't know if the problem is caused by BSD tar or not.  I don't even know
what the precise problem is, but I guess tar is being instructed to create
a link.

I don't think the above warrants a bug report; perhaps whoever's
responsible for creating the distribution tars can take the above into
consideration when preparing the archives?

I do not know that the above should have caused any problems for me in any
way; I can build fine and the output seems to run more or less sanely (I
still get some odd behavior from clang++, but that's probably due to one or
more errors on my part).

Sincerely,
Mikael Lyngvig