[LLVMdev] SIV tests in LoopDependence Analysis, Sanjoy's patch

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Mon May 14 13:30:07 PDT 2012

On Mon, 14 May 2012 11:46:02 -0700
Preston Briggs <preston.briggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Sanjoy Das
> <sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry for having been quiet for so long, I have my university exams
> > going on, and will be able to contribute only after the coming
> > Friday.
>
> Gents,
>
> While you've been fooling around with exams, I have been focused with
> laser-like intensity, or something...
> Here are new versions of 4 SIV tests:
>
>    - the Strong SIV test:
>    https://sites.google.com/site/parallelizationforllvm/strong-siv-test
>    - the Weak-Zero SIV test:
>    https://sites.google.com/site/parallelizationforllvm/weak-zero-siv-test
>    - the Weak-Crossing SIV test:
>    https://sites.google.com/site/parallelizationforllvm/weak-crossing-siv-test
>    - the Exact SIV test:
>    https://sites.google.com/site/parallelizationforllvm/weak-siv-test
>
> and our first MIV test:
>
>    - the RDIV test:
>    https://sites.google.com/site/parallelizationforllvm/rdiv-test

Can you explain this comment:
> With minor algebra, this test can also be used for things like [c1 +
> a1*i + a2*j][c2].

> If you have any thoughts about this code, I'd be very interested in
> hearing them.

I this look good, but, as you say below, we also need to work on the
top-level infrastructure. It will be hard to validate and evaluate
this code without a framework in which to use it.

One thing that I would like to mention is that 'use' here should also
include user feedback. This means being able to pass information back
to the frontends about which loops are being effectively analyzed, and
for loops that are not, why not.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel