[LLVMdev] Scheduler Roadmap

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu May 10 15:05:11 PDT 2012

On May 10, 2012, at 12:01 PM, Hal Finkel wrote:
> The disadvantage for outsiders is, however, that it forces your
> releases to follow their releases (because of additional stabilization
> activity prior to releases), and that may not be practical if your
> release cycle is shorter than theirs. However, if the release cycle is
> too short for the project's users, then we should think about
> shortening it.

Just to clarify here, "Apple" release have nothing to do with llvm.org releases.  The LLVM.org schedule is purely time-driven (a ~6 month cycle), and done by volunteers - including the @apple.com people who contribute to the releases.

The Apple schedule is quite variable, and often a lot more frequent than every 6 months.  This is why Apple release have always been based off a random revision number, usually irritatingly right in the middle of an llvm.org release.

> As far as I can tell, Apple tries very hard to keep trunk stable; it is
> one of the most stable trunks with which I've worked. Obviously there

This is just one more reason that it is important to me for the trunk to remain stable.

-Chris