[LLVMdev] Scheduler Roadmap

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Wed May 9 14:23:50 PDT 2012

On May 9, 2012, at 2:00 PM, dag at cray.com wrote:

> We also can't afford to have compiler builds break because someone
> upstream decided to change an API we rely on.  We make monthly releases.
> We have to have some control over when we introduce such changes.

There's no great solution. But you'll have to make a tradeoff between being engaged in the development process vs insulating your development from external changes. I've spent plenty of time dealing with a similar situation, and I found it more efficient to keep all development upstream from integration and release as in: LLVM trunk -> Cray trunk -> Cray release. This way you're only back porting critical bug fixes and you're never reverse-engineering a pile of new features to find out why something broke.

-Andy