[LLVMdev] How to Get Path Profile and Print it

Arnamoy Bhattacharyya arnamoy at ualberta.ca
Sat Mar 31 20:48:33 PDT 2012

Hello;

I was trying to use utils/profile.pl script to get path profile and print
it from a simple hello world program.

First I do the following -

Compile the hello.c into LLVM bitcode file using -

clang hello.c -S -emit-llvm -o hello.bc

But when I try to run the following script -

../llvmclang/llvm-3.0.src/utils/profile.pl -edge hello.bc

I get the following error -

llvm-prof: hello.bc: Invalid bitcode signature

Also in the profile.pl, an argument can be "function".  But when I try to
run with the argument function, the output is -

opt: Unknown command line argument '-insert-function-profiling'.  Try: 'opt
-help'

I was in the hope of getting path profiles with the -function argument.
 But is "insert-path-profiling" supported in llvm?  I am asking this
because I didn't see any transformation for path-profiling in the website.

Thank you;
--
Arnamoy Bhattacharyya
Athabasca Hall 143